I was in the mall today and I was thinking about B. I wanted to get her a little something. While whatever I get for her is just a small token, it is nothing at all compared to the biggest, most amazing gift of our lives she will be giving us. Everything I looked at today seemed...trivial. Also, over the last 4 months, I haven't learned any more about her than I did from reading the inital intake when we decided to submit our profile. I wish that I knew more about her so that I could at least have an idea of what she might like.
I know that we're not "exchanging" gifts by any means, but I want whatever I get her to be special and heartfelt. At the same time, maybe it shouldn't be too much...what if she doesn't really want to be reminded of this child or us? I don't know how she feels. Maybe I'm overthinking this. That would not be a first.
I called B the day before Thanksgiving wishing her and her child a good holiday.
Yep...another voicemail message left.
#MicroblogMondays - Willpower
10 years ago

10 comments:
It is hard to pick a right gift. I know how you feel. We had a journey necklace picked out for Marla. since this was a jouney it felt right. It was diamond. We were going to give it to her after she signed. Thank god it was returnable... With C's BM, everything happened so fast and we didn't have an opportunity to give her anything. It was strange. I still feel weird about it. I did write her a very heartfelt letter. Oh well. : (
Reading this post was like Deja Vu. I kept looking for stuff ending up feeling like everything was so superficial and scared that I will not find something she likes. I figured I will put together a basket of things that I think she will like and write a letter to her as part of the basket.
It must be hard to pick something else... I mean, what do you give to someone who is giving you a baby? I have often heard about a necklace with a special pendant, or a charm bracelet, or something like that. She could wear it regularly if she wants to, or put it away in a box if she doesn't want a constant reminder. Just a thought. I can't believe it's been 4 months since you were matched... wow!
A gift is really hard, particularly when you don't really know her very well. Jewelry might be nice. Maybe a locket. It's really her choice what she wants to put in it.
I am at the same point as you! Our baby is due in 1 week, and I am still trying to figure out the perfect gift. You are so right, nothing seems good enough! We have met, and talked to our birth mom several times over the past month, but I still have no ideas!
Hi!
I had a hard time, too. I got L a bracelet with a Tree of Life charm on it and I gave her a photo album for all of the pictures I would (have) be sending (sent) to her :)
I also considered this gift, but ended up feeling like it was too silly, but I'll throw it out there. Dh and I are REALLY into music. We love classic rock, big band, jazz, motown, country, current rock, pop, rap, etc. I thought about getting L an iPod shuffle loaded up with our very, very favorite songs.
This is so hard. I gave C a small gift bag for when she was in the hospital. I know that she loved pink and chai so I got her nice fuzzy socks, chai scented lotion and stress balls (mostly for birth dad)for her to squeeze during labor. She really appreciated it and wore the socks through labor and requested them throughout her stay so I know that the small gesture meant a lot. At our ceremony we gave her a nice album for photos that we'd be sending. We contemplated doing a piece of jewelry but I was struggling with that and time ended up passing too quickly for me to get it together.
I wish B would answer her phone sometime, just for your peace of mind. Choosing gifts is difficult. I'm sure you'll think of something. Take your time and keep on window shopping :)
That would be really hard to decide what to get. Wish I had a great suggestion, but I don't...I'll let you know if I think of anything though! :)
I wish I had some advice, unfortunately I never had a chance to get anything for J. Definitely let us know what you end up getting.
Post a Comment