Sunday, November 22, 2009

What to bring, what to buy out-of-state

We are flying out of state to a city where T.arget and BRU are both easily accessible.  We're planning on buying the car seat when we get there.  I know that we risk not being able to get the car seat that I've been eyeing, but I don't want us to have to schlep an empty seat to the airport, then worry about it being tossed around in baggage. 

The question for the moms who traveled out of state for little one....what baby stuff did you bring with you and what did you purchase at your destination?  Besides your answers helping me out, I really just love reading about the different experiences!   

9 comments:

iValue Services said...

I adopted out of state and I would suggest you bring your own car seat. Believe me the last thing you will want to do is worry about it there are too many other things going on. Also there is not a baggage cost for it. It flys free. Bottles, I would suggest Dr Brown bottles they are great if there is a colic problem. Congrads and have fun

Anonymous said...

We bought our car seat out of state. It wasn't the one I wanted, but by the time we met with the lawyers and everything, we didn't have time to do the proper shopping. We couldn't find the BRU, which is where the car seat I wanted was. So we were an half hour late to the hospital to pick up our little one, when we dashed into Target to get one. If there is one that you really, really want, I would take it with you. Things get busy when you are there and you'll have baby before you know it.

If you travel with it, put it in a plastic bag to protect it from getting dirty and gate check it if you can.

As far as what to bring, I would just bring a few days worth of clothes, diapers, formula, bottles, etc. You can always go out and get whatever else you need after you settle into the hotel. Just remember you have to lug it all back too.

HTH

Carrie said...

I agree with the others-take a car seat with you, things get hectic once you are there and it's one less thing to worry about. Pack a few days of diapers and a few outfits. The hospital will give you some formula. We took a diaper bag with a few outfits, diapers and bottles in it. Just the essentials. Good luck!

Doripink said...

hey girl....did you get me email with my #'s? Call me :)

Rachel said...

We brought our car seat. I think it's worth it. You can gate check it and it doesn't have to go in with baggage. That way we stayed with H's birth parents and got to know them and take pictures and we didn't have to go shopping.

A friend mailed us a care package to the hotel. The hospital supplied us with blankets and hospital shirts, formula and diapers enough to last us until the package came and DH could run to the store. We just got the exact same stuff they used at the hospital and didn't make personal choice changes until we got home. It was easier that way.

Most hotels have washing machines, so I didn't have too much stuff because I was able to do a wash.

Just make sure to bring one outfit to bring the little one home from the hospital in.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

We bought everything there because we were notified on a Sunday and flew to FL on Tuesday. Anyway, I wish I had researched beforehand so I had everything selected. If you don't want to bring your desired item on the plan call the local branch of the desired chain big box store and confirm they have the item in stock and ask them to hold it for you. Or, you could buy the item at home and just ship it to your hotel. I will say, I HATE our carseat, my husband hates the carseat, our family hates the carseat. All carseats (the baby bucket as we call it) are NOT created equal and you'll be stuck with an annoying one for a year or so. Choose wisely. When we were staying at the hotel with the baby while we waited for the clearance to leave we used Playtex Drop Ins and they were fine, but once she began eating more than 4 ounces of formula it was a hassle so we switched to Dr. Browns's. We didn't have a lot. Just diapers and changing equipment, a swaddler, a hands free carrier which I found convenient for going down to breakfast and getting a cup of coffee (lol..we were in a hotel), bottles, hand sanitizer, baby body wash, and one piece outfits for the baby.

Holly said...

I have a pretty good list - want me to email it to you??

Babies really need SO little at that point in time. Things you will want to have in the hotel room whether you take them or buy them:
Zip loc bags in different sizes
Trash bags
Footed sleepers (we took NB size and went and bought Preemie size and washed them at the hotel)
Blankets (we used them in the car seat, a place for her to lie, for her to snuggle in our arms in - we used lots of blankets)

I wouldn't take diapers or wipes because the hospital will give you some and you can figure out which size you need and go buy them.

I wouldn't take bottles. Honestly, the hospital gave us a TON of the ready to feed 2oz bottles and we bought more and that is all we used the first few weeks. If you want to use bottles, you can go buy some.

Get a room with a microwave and buy some Medela bags. You can sterilize stuff in them!!

Don't buy formula or binkies - again, the hotel will send you off with some and you can go buy what she likes. (BTW, all of this stuff I am telling you not to take? I took.)

C LIVED on the Boppy and even slept on it in between our heads so I feel like that is a must have. We took a bouncy seat and a travel swing and those were a waste.

I would probably buy the carseat ahead of time.

Oh, TONS of burp clothes/towels will come in handy.

Just plan to go out there with little and to fly home with a LOT. Oh, take a diaper bag with you and an empty duffle :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I never even thought about that. Good luck!

Coleen and Gordon said...

We brought our carseat. If you do, I would suggest buying the bag it fits in and then you could use the room in there for more stuff, like blankets etc. That way it will have nice padding. I will email you the list I had when we went out of state. It worked well and i felt prepared.