Saturday, November 21, 2009

Talking names

Hubbs told one of his good buddies about the match when he stopped by our house last night.  He was literally gushing...it was cute, especially knowing this guy.  He was very happy and excited for us.  He recently became a dad himself, so he was giving me advice about everything, from sleep schedules to baby bumpers to diapering (play-by-play instructions and technique demo included).   He talked about how he and his wife decided on naming their baby, which turned out to be a very complicated process for them.  The child was not named for about 3 days because they could not decide. 

After he left, I brought up the subject of names with Hubbs.  With less than 2 months to go, we've been talking a bit more openly about the little one....but still haven't really discussed names.  In addition, we haven't discussed names with really anyone else, except for my sister.  Mainly, I've wanted to avoid the criticism and/or comments that often occurs when talking about baby names.

There was one name in particular that we heard right before the match.  We both agreed that we liked it at that time.  Since then, in my head I've been calling the little one by that name.  Hubbs said that he hadn't really thought about it yet **rolling my eyes**.  I'm not one bit surprised by that.   

Hubbs decided to give the name a test run, as in saying the name out loud in different circumstances.  [To give an idea of how this went, I'll use the name "BoomBoom" as a substitute for the actual name.]

1)  Hi there, "BoomBoom".
2)  Time for beddie-bye, "BoomBoom".
3)  "BoomBoom", come see Daddy.
4)  "BoomBoom", don't touch that. 
5)  I love you, "BoomBoom"!

After #5, Hubbs said that he really liked it.  Then he said that he wanted to make a grilled cheese. 

Ladies, we have a frontrunner.

14 comments:

Prabha said...

Yayy for the front runner name. Loved this post. Pretty much that is all I think off these days too. I have one boy name and one girl name but we have one backup name to see which fits baby's personality better and then decide.

Anonymous said...

Awwww!

Living Life Happy said...

Love it! haha

Kelly said...

I suppose men have their own way of tackling these things! That was cute, the way he tested it out. Fun!

Melba said...

ohhhh so sweet, and SO exciting! I can't wait until I get to read that post where the baby is actually here and you really have decided on a name for sure! Whether you post the chosen name here or not, it will still be sweet to revel in the joy with you! :)

Melba

GsMomAswifey said...

OMG, that is so funny. When I meet "BoomBoom"...that's what I'm going to call her...lol.

It cute!!

BTW, I've always heard about people not naming their child for a couple/few days....I don't get it.?.

However, after we named G...I wondered if it fit him..KWIM. Now, I KNOW he is G and it fit just RIGHT!!!!

Wendy said...

Isn't that the best? It's so fun to come up with names. That's great that you found one that you both love. :)

BTW, we didn't share our names. I had heard of too many people making comments to other friends who had their babies. They would criticize the names. Sometimes it's nice to keep it as a surprise. That's what we figured, anyway.

Jill said...

Ooooh! Can't wait!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

How exciting!! What a fun convo. :) Cracking up at the grilled cheese part! Men are so simple. Lol. :)

Nancy said...

That's excellent. We actually had a really easy time of coming up with a girl name that we liked, but if we had a boy, there would have been some blood on the floor. Bob picked a name I just did not like at all. Good thing she's a girl and we both love her name.

RB said...

I love DH's way of testing the name out! Priceless!

Jodi said...

And you just found the baby's nickname as well...BoomBoom!!! :)

Coleen and Gordon said...

Fun! We had the name Ella picked out before we connected with M. It was meaningful and pretty. We both loved it. You know how well that worked out. With C, I was watching Grey's one night and saw the name in the credits. I asked G if he liked it and it was a winner. We had none before that and that was about 1 week before she was here. We didn't know she was a girl so we had to throw around both genders! so fun.

My Two Army Brats said...

That is so cute!

I was blog hopping and happened upon yours. I look forward to reading more..