Monday, November 23, 2009

Books

Wow...thank you for the advice in my previous post on what to bring! The consensus seems to be with bringing a car seat. The jury is still out on that for us. As it gets closer, I will see, especially because we plan on being there a few days before the induction date. If she goes early, then we'll be screwed we'll figure it out.


I thought that I would pick your mommy brains again, this time about parenting books. Any good ones that you recommend? If you want to comment also on the reason why you like a particular book, that would be wonderful too. Thanks!

15 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm reading "What to Expect the First Year," and I'm enjoying it so far. I have the latest updated version, and I got it at halfprice books for less than $2!

My sis-in-law LOVED "TimeWise."

A good friend has recommended "The Baby Whisperer."

That's all I got :)

Happy said...

I was going to suggest the same two books. I also liked "The Happiest Baby on the Block" and there is a DVD that you can puchase that clearly illustrates what's written in the book. It was GREAT for soothing a crying baby and it really worked!

Anonymous said...

I swear by "the contented little baby book" by Gina Ford. it helped me cope and actually enjoy the first few precious weeks and months! The other one is "the girlfriends guide to babies" by Vicki Iovine. In the first few sleep deprived months I found her hysterically funny! Xx

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I realized I would be too neurotic to not have everything ahead of time. ;)

Prabha said...

I have a book on bonding in adoption, the baby book by Dr Sears and the happiest baby on the block so far. :)

Just Believing said...

Happiest Baby on the Block for sure just get the video and save your self time on reading the book

Also Babywise contrary to popular belief its not all about CIO

and....a bible :)

Kelly said...

I sort of let the carseat one go, thinking, what do I know about carseats? But I sort of liked the idea of you just picking one up once you got there. (I guess I was outvoted on that one!) As for parenting books, I'm way behind you and I have no suggestions! I'll be interested in what other suggest. :)

Wendy said...

What to Expect
Baby 411
Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care
Happiest Baby on the Block

Adoption-related: I bought Parenting Your Adopted Child and Talking with Young Children about ADoption.

Jennifer said...

What to expect the first year is a good one, especially if you need to look things up. It also gives you an overview of developmental milestones each month.

Later I used Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child, which is very helpful for sleep issues.

M said...

My friends gave me "Healthy Sleep Habits and Happy Child" after their child wasn't sleeping well and said it helped a lot. I haven't read this one yet so I cant comment on it. I did read "The Baby Whisperer" and found lots of good info in it. I am glad I read one ahead of time....makes me feel like I have a small idea of what Im getting myself into! :-)

Marcie said...

I liked What to Expect the First Year. It told you what to expect at doctors appointments, what milestones to expect, What to do in certain situations... you know basically what to expect the first year. Good thing I clarified that, huh?

Denver Jen said...

Happiest Baby on the Block for sure. If you can get the DVD I would highly recommend that as it will save you time and you can actually see the techniques being used. I also highly recommend Dr. Sears The Baby Book because I really like his approach and philosophy. I had this practically attached to me for the first two weeks.

Rachel said...

I hate parenting books. I say leave 'em. But that's just me. (I've had a lot of previous experience with babies. They just made me worry about things I would never have thought of.)

Nancy said...

My favorite book is Baby 411 - lots of good advice and very easy to read. I also read "What to Expect in the First Year" which has provided some good insight as well.

RB said...

I meant to comment about your car seat question, but didn't get the chance sooner. I don't suggest bringing a car seat. Rent one from the car rental place. Lugging a car seat around on top of luggage and the loads of baby stuff is not easy. The car seat we rented was a standard Graco model. It wasn't spectacular looking, but really, you just take baby from hospital to hotel to doctor's appt and back to hotel. I wouldn't lug one across country if you don't need to.

As far as books, I love Happiest Baby on the Block. It seems to be working so far! :) What to Expect the First Year seems to focus a TON on breastfeeding which is irrelevant for most of us. Hope that helps!