Monday, August 3, 2009

Unfortunately, we're not made of money

We were asked if we wanted to be considered for a situation today. We need a bit more information, more out of curiosity. I would really like to know why the fee is what it is...the "estimated" cost boggles my mind. We were just given a flat fee number, so I want to know the itemized costs. Again, out of curiosity...

If it weren't for the cost, we would probably want our profile to be sent. The financial part of adoption just sucks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. One of the first situations we were presented with was 43k. 43k!!!!!!!!!! What?!

In my experience, we were never shown a breakdown of the cost...until we agreed to the match. I hope they show you, I am curious :P

Anonymous said...

You are not alone on that one! We cringe at the thought of being stuck turning down a situation because of cost but sometimes there just isn't a choice. It stinks that money is such a huge part of it but I hope things work out for you!

Dana/WiredDesign said...

Ugh - I wish there was a better way! Hang in there!

RB said...

Some of the high costs of adoption are criminal in my opinion.

Coleen and Gordon said...

Yep! We declined being shown on a couple of occasions, too!

Allie said...

You're being smart, and you have the right to know what you're being charged for. Don't back off of asking! Cruising some of these sites that list children in other states - anywhere from $25-55K!! This crap is, as RB said, criminal. What a scam.

Hope you find out what the breakdown is. I'm curious.

Kelly said...

It's crazy how much the costs can vary from situation to situation. Hang in there!

Melba said...

Yes, it does so suck! How completely unfair that we are asked to fork over money on top of money in order to build our families, while other people don't think twice.

To me it would be like if someone looked at an expectant mom and said, "Oh...by the way, none of your birth expenses will be covered for this baby." There would be a general uproar if that happened, and yet people still don't even understand that adoption does cost money, and sometimes A LOT of money!

Hang in there...

Melba