Monday, March 1, 2010

The race is on

Unfortunately for my Jamaica-bound and not-so-toned body, this will not be a blog entry about actual effort, exercise, or athletic competition.  The race to which I am referring is the one in my head.   I guess I should explain.  Back when we had been at the TTC (trying to conceive) game for a while, back when we were of the "appropriate" age for those things and it seemed that everyone we knew was getting pregnant for the first time or yet again, I frequently had thoughts of, "Oh, I have to get pregnant before she does." or "I'm wondering if they're trying yet." or "She can't have another baby before we have our first."   Every married couple of child-bearing age was fair game for my "race" challenge....again, this is all in my mind.  I wanted the next pregnancy announcement to come from us.  As each person I had in my sights got pregnant, it was just another race that had me left behind.  In comparison, my fertility, even with the technology and performance-enhancing drugs, was out matched, again and again.     

I find that even in the adoption process, I continue with my competitiveness.  It is a fact that with domestic adoption it can really happen at any time.  We could get a call in the next hour, tomorrow, or next week.  The call could be about a baby already born or one that is due in a few months.  However, the other sobering and sucky truth is that it could be another year before we get a match.   We have absolutely no control about when we might get THE call.  But still I "race" competitively with these totally unsuspecting and innocent fertile women.  I know what you're thinking.  This chick is cuckoo for cocoa puffs and/or a head examination is long overdue. 

My current "competitors" are at work.  I have three pregnant co-workers/friends and they're breathing down my neck.  I was truly in contention when we were in match mode....chatting it up with the other expectant moms about crib recalls, baby names, and the advantages of one formula brand over another.  I was going to have a baby before them all!  I was finally going to win!  Then I had a fall just before the finish and just like that...I was out.  Two are due early summer, and one is due late summer.  Just today, our environmental services guy said to me, "Don't drink the water!"  Snort, snort, chuckle, chuckle.  "You might catch what's going around!".  I looked up from my computer and told him flatly, "I have immunity".   He looked at me strangely and then pushed his trash cart away.  Oh, how I would love to be in the mix of upcoming babies.  There's still time.  Thoughts come into my mind that I very well could have a baby before all of them.  Or not.   

We recently heard news about yet another family pregnancy.  It really is so exciting and I'm happy for them.  It's great news for our family.  I will confess that a couple of tears fell later, but as always, I believe that they were brought on by the reminder that it didn't happen that way for us and we have a much different and longer journey.  I don't think that I'm so much envious of the pregnancy, as I am of the apparent ease in which it happens for most...the way we thought it was going to happen for us.  It stings to hear about a pregnancy and have that reminder of what we lost and of what we're still waiting for.  I don't want to be on the outside looking in anymore.  I want this journey to be over.  I'm just so. very. tired.  

No rest for the weary though!  They're not due until the fall.  My mind is lacing up the racing shoes. 
Bring it on. 

12 comments:

Coleen and Gordon said...

I've done this race, too!!! It alwasy conforted me to know I might not HAVE to wait 9 months : ) Great analogy!!

Thanks for the award... I hope find time to pass it on : )

Monika said...

I have found myself with your exact thoughts so many times over the past years. It is comforting to know that I was not the only one secretly harboring a "game plan". At times I drove myself completely mad. I was so in-tune to co-workers bodies, that I could tell the minute they were pregnant. It's like I was so obsessed with my "plan", that I instantly knew when they were pregnant. My husband would ask my how I always knew that someone was pregnant. I was too ashamed to tell him of my obsessive observations of changing waistlines, and chalked it all up to intuition!

Jodi said...

You crack me up! I'm the same way, hahaha!!! I just heard today that a coworkers wife is preggo with their....wait for it....4th baby. I wanted to puke when I heard. Who knew I was working with one of the Duggars...oh don't get me started on that subject!!!

I did chuckle out loud when you told the trash guy you had immunity. That was a funny way to put it...lol.

Hang in there, E. Our time will come...and I think it's safe to say that yours will come way before mine! (((Hugs))) my friend! :)

Wendy said...

Between the guy's comment at your work and the other pregnant people around you -- it sounds like it's all in your face right now. I'm sorry.

I really hope your little one finds you soon and that your wait comes to an end.

Tiffany said...

I do the same thing too!

I'm constantly thinking about who will make the next announcement, and if there could be any way that we could beat them to the baby finish line! My brother and his wife are due in August and I was telling my husband that maybe we could get the process to go by super quickly and we could adopt before their baby is born! LoL Fat chance!

Hopefully you finish your race soon!!!

Rachel said...

Yes.

And I find that the sting is still there with pregnancy announcements despite having H.

Hang in there.

Geochick said...

You've put into words what I can't. I tried talking to DH about this over the weekend and once again we're not on the same page. He's content to play "expectant" parent and is comfortable knowing that one day we'll be matched. Me? I was there for a little while but I've regressed back to the race and it's driving me crazy.

Kelly said...

Oh my, I am constantly in that race. Even in the adoption game. I hear you loud and clear.

And the immunity response? Perfect.

I'm rooting for you in your race!

Denver Jen said...

I completely understand. A woman on my team got pregnant and it occurred to me it was highly probable that she could have her baby before I had mine and she had just announced it and I'd been waiting to adopt for over a year. I'm happy to report that was one person I beat. However, I lost many many other races and was lapped a few times by some friends. I hope you win this one!!

Bri said...

Oh, I so get that! Done it a million times!

It seem like when it rains, it pours with pregnancies. It was never one or two, it was always a bunch at a time, which made it that much tougher to follow.

Know that you have many more people holding signs and cheering for you to win this race than anyone else!!

Melba said...

I can totally relate to this! Earlier today I was even thinking that it's a really good thing that we were placed before a certain friend of mine got pregnant because I wouldn't have handled that very well. She's pregnant now and it's a relief to be able to be genuinely happy for her. I know that it would have been much harder for me to try to support and be happy for her if we had still been waiting when that news came.

Heck - I was even in an unspoken race against my own sister. She's four years younger than me and I really had it in my head big time that I *had* to have a baby before her. I actually feel really silly about that now but I know it would have been very hard if things had happened the other way around.

I think it's human nature. With something so major, something that seems like it should be a right of passage that comes with adulthood...it's natural that we compare ourselves to other people around our same age.

I'm sorry about your friends at work, and about the latest family member. I remember all too well how hard that was and my heart goes out to you. There is just NO way to know, you are right. I hope your waiting journey is over soon too!

Hugs,

Melba

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone with that little game. I've been lapped by most friends multiple times. Now, my brother and his wife are due in August and I'm hoping our adoption goes super fast so we get our baby before they get theirs. Sad, but true.