Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Jamaican me crazy!

I feel like my last few posts have been about me being down in the dumps.  It's been a rough couple of weeks.  One of the breeders in my office was in my ear today "complaining" about all of the things that she can't eat and she was having a mini-meltdown because she had a half a glass of wine and then she read online that pregnant women should not consume ANY alcohol so that freaked her out and "I'm so glad I'm not doing this again" and....on and on.  Enough already!  I calmly told her to be thankful.  That kind of cut her off and I felt a little bad (just a little) because as her friend, she should be able to vent to me.  Sure, there are many worries and (temporary) restrictions that come with being pregnant.  But as her infertile friend, she should cut me some slack, no?  Vent to all the other breeders around us.  Sheesh.

Anyway, I hope to be in a better mood soon.  Maybe a change of scenery and some margaritas will help, even if it's just for a few days.


Serenity now.   

13 comments:

Melba said...

She definitely should cut you some slack too...don't feel too badly about telling her to count her blessings. They are many, as any of us who have ever longed for and not achieved that outcome could tell her!

Hooray for Jamaica!!

Melba

Kelly said...

I love your "be thankful" response. That is perfect. I've said similar things to friends, but maybe not as nice. (I've said things like, "Wow, that's so terrible that you're worried you're having twins," with a very sarcastic tone.)

Have a great trip! Sounds heavenly. Have a margarita (or three) for me!

Jodi said...

"One of the Breeders"...E, you seriously crack me up! I love it! I am officially adopting that terminology! (Adopting, get it? Haha)

Don't feel bad for cutting her off. As a friend she should know better than to whine about her pregnancy to a...non-breeder. I cut preggos off all the time. Oh well....self-preservation!
That picture makes me so jealous! Have a wonderful trip, and think of me while you drink ALL the wine you want! (((Hugs)))

Wendy said...

I say don't feel bad for cutting her off, either. I work with a woman who was pg while we were waiting. She constantly said how she was a "walking side effect" and would describe in great detail how bad she was feeling all of the time. I took her aside and told her I couldn't handle it anymore. I was blunt and honest. I said I was happy for her but I just couldnt' be the one she vented to. She said she understood and she really stopped doing it. I think sometimes people just forget...

I am SOOO excited (and a wee bit jealous) of your trip to Jamaica!!! I can't wait to hear all about it. Remind me -- are you going to Montego Bay? I think you m ight be...have a great time!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Honestly, I don't think you're too down in the dumps - I think you're great - you've been through a lot but I think you deal with it like a pro. Trust me, I've read some blogs who whine a ton and have no real reason...so don't be too hard on yourself! :)

And your friend/co-worker should definitely be more considerate. I understand your point about being a friend, but still...that's pretty insensitive. I cracked up at the "breeders" reference!!

Faith said...

I just found your blog....LOVE IT!!!! I know what you mean...my best friend is on her FOURTH pregnancy and everything is always easy, perfect and healthy and she complains constantly about being pregnant! It drives me CRAZY!!!! Hang in there...serenity now....again, love it!!!

GsMomAswifey said...

E, you have every right to be down, to cut her off... to feel how ever you want and let us know about. That is why we are here to support you through your ups and downs.
Really your spirit and your humor inspire me. There is going to be one big party in my heart the day your baby comes home....

Here's to Jamaica...you know my Jamaican me crazy!!!

riversnake said...

I love how you refer to them as "breeders!" I'm so right there with you. And I don't think it was out of line to remind your breeder co-worker to be thankful. I think it was exactly what she needed to hear!

~Jill

Hoochie Mamma!

M said...

Cut her off and have her feel bad! It drove me crazy when my friends would complain to me also. Sometimes I would say..." I would give anything to have morning sickness." That would usually shut them up and make them think. Have fun on your trip!!

Richele said...

don't feel bad - you gave her the very reminder she didn't even know she needed!

lose yourself in the sun and sand and enjoy every single moment.

Marcie said...

Start saying things like, "I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't decide if I wanted to sleep on my belly or my back... so many decisions"... or "ahh, spring. Don't you want to sit outside for happy hour and crack a nice cold Corona? Oh I'm sorry"... "let's get sushi for lunch. Oh damn. I forgot" heehee.

I think your response was appropriate.

Coleen and Gordon said...

AWWWW We have been talking about beaching it this summer! I need it! (the beach : ))

Maru said...

"Breeders." LOL Hope that term is not copyrighted because I'm going to use it! :oP