If I had to describe our attitude about disclosing our adoption match news to family and friends, it would be, in a word, private...private as opposed to secretive. We're just not the type to start yelling from the rooftops (although we wanted to). We started with our immediate families soon after we received the call. For the last 3 months or so, we've told some, but not many. I guess that's just us being cautious and afraid that things would fall through. But as January is quickly approaching, it has seemed more appropriate for us to share our news. We've also found that as time has passed, our news has "leaked", so we wanted to be able to tell people who didn't hear our news yet ourselves.
This last week, with holiday parties aplenty, we've had the opportunity to tell people in our lives who don't already know. It was both strange and wonderful to be giving news about an addition to the family, rather than hearing about it. We are grateful for the support, excitement, and well-wishes. It was overwhelming, but made me realize how fortunate we are to have the family and friends that we do. Sure, there were some reactions that probably would have been somewhat different if we were sharing pregnancy news, but it was all positive. I have to remember that some just don't have experience with adoption and leave it at that.
I'm thinking about having a separate and private blog for family and close friends to share our journey when we travel. That was the original purpose of this blog, but it turned into something much different for me as we waited to be matched. Here is where I've gotten pretty personal and I'm not ready to share that with all people IRL (in real life). Don't worry...I would be sharing a lot of the same information on this blog (I may be doing a lot of copying and pasting). I just want to avoid my worlds colliding.
#MicroblogMondays - Willpower
10 years ago

6 comments:
I started a private blog. There's just some things in the adoption process that can't be public, ya know? There's so many intricate details to the adoption process that aren't really for me to tell everyone.
And Yay for supportive family and friends! And yes, unfortunately not everyone understands adoption, but oh well, ya can't win 'em all!
E, I'm so glad you were able to tell more of your family! That's great!!! :)
I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!
I know exactly what you mean about finally being the one to be sharing this kind of news! I am so happy you have had the chance to experience the positive energy of your family and friends!
January is indeed coming fast!!
Melba
Been thinking of you E!
I'm so glad you have been able to share with your family. I'll miss getting all your news but totally understand where you are coming from. Hugs xxxx
Worlds colliding! Reminds me of Sein.feld. Merry Christmas and woooo hooo!!
Post a Comment