Our recent match has apparently lit a flame under someone's butt around here. We moved into our 70+ year old house in December. The previous owners were an elderly couple who had lived here since the 1950's. Much of the work looks DIY and the craftsmanship leaves much to be desired. It is very obvious, yet understandable because of the previous owners' advanced ages, that the last updates to the house were done in the late 70's-early 80's. We knew that going in. Every room has to be gutted/updated.
Hubby started a new job in May, which has him very
This weekend, he got to work tearing down the wood paneling in the soon-to-be "nursery". Underneath said paneling were 2 layers of dried-out and yellowed wallpaper, circa 1951(?). If I were a wallpaper anthropologist, that would be my guess. I do know that this was the bedroom of their 2 daughters and the 1st layer had ballerinas on it. It was kind of cute, in a [very] shabby chic way.
We scraped all of the wallpaper off...did I mention 2 layers?....and pulled out a million nails on Saturday afternoon. It was a mess. The walls are plaster and bowing out significantly in one area. Rather than tear the plaster out and drywall the entire room, hubby is going to try to salvage the walls that he can. Don't you love the blood red carpet? When I vacuum it, the clear cannister turns the same color! Oy vey. We looked under the carpet. There is another carpet, in zebra print(?), and underneath that, seemingly very lovely dark hardwoods.
We were going to go away for a 4-day weekend starting on Friday. We decided instead to put the money towards the house. We'll be spending our 4 days off working around here and hopefully getting some things done.
Yesterday, he skim coated the walls. I did some painting on the first floor. Hubby had to go into work today...he's a un.ion carpen.ter and is working on Labor Day. I think that's sacrilegious or something.
He should be laboring here, don't 'cha think?

12 comments:
Yay hubby! Yay for a fire under his butt! I sure know how adoption nesting works! Yay for adoption nesting!!!
Oy, removing old wallpaper=NOT fun...
I helped our BIL tear down wallpaper -- not fun!!!
Don't you love getting started? It's so exciting! I can't wait to see the transformation :)
Have fun!
The hardwood sounds promising! haha. Don't you love a fixer upper? Talking and fantasizing of how satisfying and rewarding it will be, turns to frustration pretty quickly. Although it is a special satisfaction when you rip off a BIG piece of wallpaper. I think it will ALL be worth it in the end. A beautiful nursery that you poured your heart and soul into.
We've been working on our nursery this weekend as well. Can't wait to share our pics!
Ugh, lovely wood paneling with TWO layers of wallpaper underneath?! Sounds like a huge project! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Good luck getting the nursery ready. I'm sure everything will get done in time. What a project! You're lucky you have a handy hubby :)
I feel your pain! Our house was built in the 60s and had gold carpet over the hardwood and wallpaper in every room when we moved in. It still has panelling (painted white) in our TV room and panelling in the basement. Our kitchen had 4 layers of wallpaper and the bottom was was pure 60s with mushrooms and things. :) It will be so great to see this room when it's done!
I can't wait to see the finished product! I am sure it is going to look beautiful!
Yeah! It looks like your making progress. No nursery envy- I took a photo of the only corner with something in it:).
That's exciting you have hardwoods under the many layers of carpet. That's got to be a great surprise and hopefully well preserved. Good luck with the endeavor. Can't wait to see the finished room!
how exciting to get it all started!
wow! So great to have a husband that KNOWS how to do this stuff! Don't tell Gord I said that, but it is true!! : ) I can't wait to see the finished room!
LOL, you are cracking me up! Don't worry, it will get there, and I know it will be an absolutely gorgeous safe haven for your {undoubtedly} gorgeous baby-to-be!!
Hugs,
Melba
Woah - that is some RED carpet! Can't wait to see the finished product - you guys are doing a great job!
We plan to paint the nursery in the next couple months as well - I just need to pick the right shade of green from my 500 samples!
Post a Comment