Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Icebreakers, questions, be prepared, and avoid these like the plague

Last night, hubby and I had our 'birthparent consultation'.  We were provided the opportunity to speak with a staff member of our consultant group, who also happens to be a birthparent.  L regularly counsels adoptive parents-to-be prior to contact with a birthparent.  We were so glad to speak with someone who has experienced adoption from the other perspective.  L became a birth mom about 20 years ago and was recently reunited with her daughter.      

Needless to say, I was taking notes like a madwoman.  We thought that L gave a lot of good information.  Overall, it was a pretty valuable experience.  She suggested taking notes during our conversation(s) with emom, then journaling in a baby book.  Love that idea! 

I mentioned this consultation in an earlier post and a few people asked that I post the tips afterwards. I aim to please, so here are some tidbits.   

Some things to remember in general:
~ Be optimistic, supportive, and excited!  BUT also balance that with the knowledge that emom is experiencing a loss. 
~ Use positive adoption language, remember that during this time, this is "her baby" not "our baby", no judgements, sympathize with her about this difficult decision

Icebreaker ideas:
~ Ask how she's feeling. 
~ What are her interests or hobbies? 
~ If emom is parenting a child or children, ask about them.   How is this pregnancy different than her last or other pregnancies? 

Questions for emom:
~ Why did she decide to choose us? 
~ What do you want your child to know about you? 
~ How does her family feel about adoption plan?   Who is her support system?
~ If the child asks why you chose adoption, what do you want us to tell him or her? 
~ In what ways does she think the adoption will change her?  Or if she has placed a child before, how was  
her previous adoption experience? 
~ What kind of future contact do want with him or her? 
~ Ask about her plans for the hospital.
~ What kind of communication does she want during the pregnancy?

Be prepared for these possible questions:
~ How was our relationship with our own families?
~ What kind of parents do we think we will be?
~ How do we plan to discipline?
~ How were we disciplined as kids?
~ How and when will we tell him or her about adoption?
~ How will we handle questions about his/her birth family?

Avoid:
~ Discussion of adoption logistics (i.e. financial)
~ If birth father is not in the picture, don't bring him up first.  Let her take the lead on that topic.   

Of course, this list of suggestions should not be read verbatim as if firing off questions.  We'll see how the conversation unfolds and go from there.  She recommended that we have the list in front of us in case there are lulls in the conversation.   

We're hoping that we are able to talk with her soon.  We're still in the midst of doing administrative stuff with the agency. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I would also add to be prepared to talk about religion and childcare in some of those initial conversations, as she might ask what you're planning to do.

And I hate to sound like Debbie Downer, but I've had two failed matches in the past year, so unfortunately I would also add: Guard a little piece of your heart. Because it is SO true that this is her baby, not yours, right now. I wish I had guarded a little bit more of mine.

Anonymous said...

Wow those are good tips, thanks for passing them along.

E said...

Kendra, I'm very sorry about your failed matches. Thanks for mentioning some other possible questions.

The guarding a piece of my heart goes without saying for me. Good advice to remember through this process...

Anyone else have other ideas for conversation starters or questions to be prepared for, etc.?

M/J Granata said...

I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes when you finally get to talk to your birth mother. I will be thinking of you and praying for you! Hugs...

Melba said...

Wow, so exciting and scary all at the same time! These ideas seem really good and pretty easy to follow.

I can't wait to hear more as your journey to baby unfolds!!

Hugs,

Melba

hope548 said...

Those all sound like very good ideas. I hope you get to speak with her soon and are comfortable with the conversation!

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great list!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Wow, what a great list! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great list!!! I wish I'd seen something like this before we had our match meetings.

Jennifer said...

That is a great list. I'm going to print it out and keep it with me. I can't wait to hear about the first conversation!

Doripink said...

Hey! Great list! But I will tell you from experience, sometimes it all goes out the window when you first talk! I remember the day we got matched, H wanted to talk to us on the phone (that night)...talk about being a basket-case!!! LOL! I had already had the "what to say/not say" conversation with our consultant, so I thought I was prepared...YEA RIGHT! The second I heard her voice on the phone my knees went weak and I couldn't stop the tears and nerves. My hubby was in the basement on the other phone. To this day I still don't remember much, if any of the conversation....except this. As hubby was in the basement listening in, he said that I "Thanked" her 37 times during our 20 minute conversation. LOL!!!! I guess I couldn't say anything else but "thank you" to the woman who changed our lives forever! And even though that conversation was not exactly what I had thought it would be like, H and I had an amazing, open, loving relationship throughout the 8 months we waited for DJ to be born!

Don't stress about it too much...and also, don't guard your heart too much either, it might miss something!

So happy for you!!!!
Love and hugs-Dori

Dana/WiredDesign said...

Thanks for sharing that knowledge! I hope to use it *SOON*!