Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 10 of "the room" makeover

Nope.  Still not ready to call "that room" the nursery.  So far, it's been an utter debacle that has included gallons of spackle, primer, latex paint, and finally, oil-based paint.  To recap, we scraped off the wallpaper, 2 layers of it, over a week ago.  What was left was a green, the color of hospital scrubs, on the walls, which I assumed was paint.  Hubbs thought he would spackle where need be and then we could primer and paint.  He spackled and sanded, spackled and sanded.  Primer, then a gallon of paint.  OK, fine.

Then, we had 80+% humidity on Saturday and along with the water-based primer and paint, some fierce bubbling was going on.  Hubbs confirmed that the green "paint" was actually wallpaper.  Not that I would have thought any different at the time.  We realized too late (duh!) that we should have used oil-based over the wallpaper.  Wallpaper-removal rookie mistake.  Back to H.ome D.epot we went and the room received a gallon of oil-based primer.  The smell from the oil-based was, in a word, overpowering.  To resolve this, hubby just painted one coat of the latex paint tonight, which seemed to work well.   
 
Through the toxic fumes over the weekend, I got the bright idea that this is what we're going to do throughout the rest of the house, which is about 95% wallpaper.  I think I'm done with scraping.

No contact information for the emom yet.  Still waiting to talk with her.     
Sept 5th
Sept 14th

10 comments:

Wendy said...

It's lookin' good! It's fun to get started on the room, isn't it??

RB said...

It's looking great!

Denver Jen said...

Yeah! Progress! I think projects are so good to take your mind off adoption stress. I don't envy home projects though. It's coming together. I'm sure you're sleeping well at night too:).

rlvd said...

gotta be honest w/ ya: the sep 5 picture scares me!! glad to see the redemption of today's picture!! so give me the lowdown on how to paint over wallpaper instead of tearing it down...cuz our kitchen's paper is hideous, but i leave it cuz i'm too chicken to tackle scraping it off!

Coleen and Gordon said...

What color is the room? I can't tell, a tan? Looks good. Are you guys putting crown molding at the top or just not trimmed yet... Fun...

Jennifer said...

It's looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Dana/WiredDesign said...

Fabulous! Gotta love wallpaper, eh?!

hope548 said...

What a pain. I'm glad you made some progress!
My word verification word is "hangsly." I predict that is what you'll name your baby. He he.

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Wow...lots of work, but it's already looking great!! :)

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good!