Our preparations for the little one have focused mainly on the nursery. Today, we took it another step further by attending a bab.y care c.lass.
We drove just over an hour to a counseling center that is centered on adoption and infertility issues. Sure, there are baby ca.re classes at our local hospitals, but we would have been surrounded by pregnant bellies and strange looks when it was noticed that I don't have the rotund silhouette of one who is preggers. Funny that I'd rather have us drive 100 miles round trip than be in THAT situation. Hell no.
The class consisted of about 10 families in various stages of the adoption process. I was surprised that the majority were just beginning the process, as in, waiting to have the homestudy visit or just finishing their profile. I wouldn't have even considered attending a class like this when we were at those stages. But in hindsight, I can see that it would be an ideal springboard to start the research and education on all things baby, even if in the early stages.
In the history of education, there cannot be a group of more earnest and knowledge-hungry adult learners than a bunch of first-time adoptive parents-to-be at a baby c.are class. After this morning, I'm totally convinced of this. During the class, I had a flashback to college lectures when the professor would say something that was for sure to be on the next test....most heads suddenly turned downward, every pen to paper, furiously writing down whatever testworthy statements he or she might say. This class was no different in that respect. However, this time, I was writing "6 to 8 wet diapers per day" and "nipple size changes at 3 mos". And, lest I forget, "NO bathtub until the cord falls off!". I'm looking at my notes from today and I actually wrote this. With the exclamation point. As you can tell, I was doing the notetaking, but hubbs would nudge me as he took a sip of his coffee or give me a look as if to say, "Aren't you going to write that down?" when the instructor said something potentially earth-shattering such as, "Use room temperature water for the formula."
OK, so I'm making fun of our group of clueless future first-time parents (at least I knew that the hoodie on the towel is not just for decoration). We're just a bunch of dorks afraid of doing something "wrong". As hubbs said later, our parents didn't attend a parenting course of any kind...it seems to hubbs that much of parenting is common sense. (I can't wait for the first opportunity to remind him that he said this...just kidding...no, I'm not). We did agree that it was definitely a useful class and worth the drive. The instructor gave a lot of practical tips and mentioned things that I wouldn't have known or thought to do. Hubbs somehow managed to place his very first newborn diaper on a doll with long, matted blond hair, who looked more like a small 3 year old with severe hip dysplasia than an infant. Oh, I'm sure he'll do just fine. I was just glad that we didn't get the one doll that looked like the Brid.e of Chu.cky (it makes me sad that there might be someone out there that would goo.gle this movie....but I'm sure he's out there).
On our way home, we decided to swing through a little area that is very popular with locals and tourists alike for it's strip of restaurants, eclectic shops and bed and breakfasts along the De.laware River. Although it rained most of the afternoon, we checked out a few stores and had a very lovely and tasty lunch at a place overlooking the river. How fitting that the town is named Ne.w Hope. We had never been there until today.
#MicroblogMondays - Willpower
11 years ago

22 comments:
Hilarious re-telling of the class! Bravo :)
I soooo would have done the same thing and gone to this class instead of one full of preggos.
I'm glad you were able to find a class like this - I will be looking for a similar one when our time comes (but not until we have a referral - like you, I can't even imagine doing this type of preparation until then). I'm happy to hear it was a worthwhile class for you both!
I saw your reference to New Ho.pe? Ar eyou from PA? I grew up near Her.shey....but now live close to Pittsburgh!
Driving over 100 miles for a class without pregnant women would be so worth it. I can just imagine those dolls with diapers!
I LOVE New Hope, PA!!! We used to live not too far from there. It was one of my most favorite places to go and hang out for the day. Peddler's Village isn't too far from there, either - it's really nice, too.
I'm glad the class went well - I would drive far to go to one that was for adoptive couples, too. No question about it!
I love New Hope...its so beautiful and serene there what a wonderful place to visit on your way home and so meaningful!
Everything will just come to you how you said our parents didnt have classes and we're awesome ( JK but you know what I mean)
Thats so cool you guys went to a class like that and that they even have those I wish I would have known!
Awww....E, your post made me smile. I can remember before G was born we recv'd a baby care dvd in the mail. We didn't expect it but when we seen it, we looked at each other and said "why not." Glad we watched it b/c there were definitely things we learned.
The name of the city is fitting!
E...just thought I would answer you here rather than on my blog...We lived in Warrington, PA, for a while just off Rte 611. We also lived in Penndel before we were married. After Warrington we lived in Drexel Hill and Wallingford, too! (We're pretty much like nomads!!! Actually we just moved closer to jobs..)
What a great idea to attend a class, and how nice that it was geared towards adopting couples as I also don't want to attend a class with a bunch of pregnant ladies. That may be odd!
E - You're not far from the Springfield Mall then...we used to go there every now and then. And I love a couple of the little shops in Media. And Anthropologie in...? Is it Swarthmore? I can't remember! How cool. I loved living in that area. Drexel Hill was really pretty, too - very pretty homes. We had an apartment, but we lived near some amazing houses.
I'm glad you got a lot out of the class. We were required to take one before we could be placed, and ended up taking it almost a year before we were placed. I went to the library and rented some baby care basics videos to refresh ourselves. We did take the class at a local hospital and I was the only non-pregnant woman. Luckily my husband provided enough comic relief that I stayed in a relatively good mood.
OMG, I love your analogy about the college class...haha! I could totally picture you furiously scribbling about nipples and belly buttons. Hahaha!
I would totally drive that far, too. Were you driving towards Western PA??? We could have met up! :)
That's so great! I know we signed up for a baby care class with the agency that did our home study and were picked and had to fly out to get the baby before the class. We kept wishing we had signed up for the class earlier.
LOL, funny post! You will do just fine...and you know what? Even if you do make a mistake, your baby will be terrifically resilient and it won't matter a bit!
You're going to be a great mommy, and my guess is that after a couple of days you won't even need to glance at your notes anymore!
so exciting!!!
Melba
Oh, this is great. I wish we had done something similar. We're learning on the fly.
Gord and I went to class (or should I say tried!). When we got there, we were at the wrong hospital. When we got to the right hospital we couldn't get into the locked building. We were so frustrated we left. I never even called to try to get out $10 back : ) Glad you went. Now you won't have to learn the hard way, like us!
Hey E - That's so funny - how long have you lived there? We lived in Wallingford about 5 years ago. We were in a condo that we rented. We were all of 5 minutes from Media and the mall. Prior to that was Drexel Hill and prior to that was Warrington. After Wallingford we moved to MI. I grew up here, and Steve grew up mostly in NJ. I used to drive over the Commodore Barry Bridge to go to work in Swedesboro (my first full time teaching job!) I loved it!! We moved here to be closer to my family.
I must be thinking of the Glenn Mills Anthropologie...yes, it was past Media now that you mention it. I love their window displays and the rest of the store, too - so much to look at and be inspired by. :)
Maybe we were "neighbors" and didn't even know it!
Just saw your comment on my blog...I can't believe you were working in Bridgeport! I was just up the road at Stratton Elementary ( part of the Swedesboro-Woolwich School District.) We were probably minutes apart!
Steve was born in Cherry Hill. His mom and his brother still live in New Jersey. Steve misses them, but I think he might miss cheesesteaks, hoagies, and good pizza just a little bit more!! ;)
You are so right about everything being right over the bridge, E! We do get out to NJ once or twice a year to visit family. We may be out after Christmas, but we're not sure how quick of a trip it will have to be...depends on Steve's time off and what we can afford. I'll let you know, though, if I can get together. It would be nice to meet!
Here is a tip that I am sure they left off. When the cord falls off, do not put where the dog can reach it. Ew, not kidding. The one time we let someone watch our baby so we could run a couple of errands, our baby's cord fell off, and for some reason, they thought we wanted to keep it (ew) so they put it on the end table and the dog ate it, and was sick (I mean yucky sick, ew, again) for more than a day.
Hi! Yes, the trip out would be the week after Christmas (if all works out...) Maybe we could try to meet up sometime this summer if we come out for a visit then. You said you'll probably be on your way to your baby then. I know it will be hard for us, too -- we have so many family members out there that haven't met Zoe yet, including two great-grandparents and a grandma...I'm sure a lot (most) of our time will be spent with them! It would probably work out better when it wasn't such a rushed trip for us, too.
Hope you're having a great day! Looking forward to your next update...
Post a Comment