We finally received the contract from the agency that is working with B. Along with the contract came the expenses and fees estimate. My jaw about dropped when I saw it because it was more than expected. I was on the verge of tears all day because the total cost listed was a possible dealbreaker. I talked with our c.onsultant who strongly recommended that I send a nice (she knows me well already) email inquiring about the cost discrepancy. So I did, pointing out the difference from what was quoted when we decided to submit our profile back in August.
I received an email from the agency tonight. It turns out that it was a mistake. B's expenses are actually lower than what the agency sent. The agency person apologized. My blood pressure is coming back down. I'm obviously relieved. This morning, I was thinking that this match may very well be kaput due to money.
I just hope there are no more surprises or scares like that. I won't hold my breath on that though. This adoption thing is not for the faint of heart...
#MicroblogMondays - Willpower
11 years ago

21 comments:
NOt to be scary but there are always costs involved you won't know about or realize until after, and its totally scary BUT GOD WILL PROVIDE and in the end it is worth more than gold to have your baby in your arms. I know you know that! Your already going to make a wonderful mother. Our agency quoted between 25-30K and we are below that right now yet we keep getting random " Birth mom lawyer fees" or " extra food allowance" or what not so they always say expect the unexpected in the costs that way you wont have to have your blood pressure rise :)
I'm glad it was a mistake and they corrected it. Sorry you had to worry, though. We've been waiting for a final total from our agency, too, and were very happy to hear that we are just covered by the amount we were able to take out in a loan. Things seem to be working out...Hope they continue to work out for you guys, too.
Glad it was a mistake! We had a big surprise with our first adoption when it came to money. We already had her in our arms and heart by then, and wasnt about to not pay and risk losing her. If we had known before, well, it just scares me to think about it. I look at her and still remember nearly 4 years ago holding her for the first time, and that feeling of falling in love with her.
WHEW - I bet that's a HUGE relief!
Thinking of you! Hugs!!!
I can't imagine! We had it easy because we paid set fees to our agency and they held our hand all the way through. We knew all of the costs we were responsible for and no matter who we were matched with, the fees were the same. I think that's the only way I could have stayed sane throughout the process! I'm glad it was a mistake and hope everything else goes smoothly!
Gosh it's just every damn thing isn't it? I'm glad it was a discrepency and you got it handled. I think the agency and other people forget/overlook stuff because they've done it before...it's their job...for them it's routine. Forgetting that for us it's our very life, our future, our heart they're holding in their hands.
Oh, gosh - I'm glad to hear it was a mistake and worked out in the end. I can't imagine what you were feeling. None of us want something like money to be the barrier between us and our child, but these expenses are so extreme. Glad it worked out.
I'm so glad this worked out. I can't imagine how hard that would have been. Our agency charges everyone a flat fee so I wasn't faced with that situation so I can't even comprehend the stress you were feeling. Glad all is better!
THANK GOODNESS. I'm sorry you've been going through so much stress. I hope this is the last "surprise". Best of luck.
So sorry you had to have that scare! It's unfortunate but the costs can just get out of control. So pleased fo you guys that it was a mistake!
The financial piece does stink. My foremost feeling about it after all was said and done was disgust about how much lawyers charge. Ugh. My advice is never, ever call your lawyer unless absolutely necessary and when they call you, keep it SHORT. When you get the bills and realize they were charging you $100 for a ten minute conversation, your questions suddenly seem a lot less urgent.
Yikes! Im glad it was a mistake and you are able to stress a little less! Praying for you!
You got that right sister!
I nominated you for an award :) Check out my blog!
it's hard not to get caught up in money...ahh! It's robbery for sure, and it feels like it's for all the wrong reasons, adopting should be free. Thankfully, it ended up being less than they thought and lets hope they keep to the lesser amount!
Oh gees...SO glad it was only a scare, and glad you checked into the matter.
Money is such a big factor with this process, and I wish it didn't have to be that way.
Hugs,
Melba
Hi!
I nominated you for a blog award. See my blog to pick it up and get the details!
Mary B.
Hi! Been catching up on blog reading! Glad everything worked out, but another piece of info is this. Once the adoption is finalized (we waited until AFTER court). We asked for an itemized list of expenses for H. Once they provided that, I realized H's expenses were $6,000 LESS than what we had paid. By LAW they cannot keep that additional money, so I asked for it back and got it!
It wasn't like they were going to freely give me my $6k back! LOL!
Let me know if you have any questions...I know where you're going like the back of my hand! :)
Hugs-Dori
Thank gosh it was a mistake!!! Adoption is ridiculously expensive. I personally think the industry preys on people's unfortunate situations and desperation to have a child, and they totally take advantage...just my opinion! I also think that infertility procedures are highway robbery, also...That being said, we will all pay it, since all we want is to be mommies!
Phew...
Yes, the money aspect of adoption is just ridiculous....
Post a Comment