Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thanks ladies...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the supportive posts to my last entry about my sister's pregnancy announcement. You all get it and if I didn't have this forum to express myself, I think that someone would have to talk me off a ledge. So, thank you all for taking the time to post and letting me know, once again, that I am not alone in this.

After hubby and I left my parents' house yesterday, we didn't even talk about the pg announcement. I think he knows not to go there. I threw a tantrum right after her first pregnancy announcement. My sister (who has always been sensitive to my feelings) told me over the phone. All I remember is running up to our room in tears and collapsing on the bed into the fetal position. Quite dramatic for me, but it freaked hubby out. It was my honest reaction at the time. (He talked me off the ledge that time lol). This time, he asked me if I was OK, and of course, I said yes (smile still pasted on my face). And that was it. Needless to say, it was a quiet ride home.

I've always had some issues with neck and shoulder stiffness and it's been more pronounced in the past week. I've often attributed it to sleeping the wrong way or the height of my pillow. I got a massage last week to focus on my neck and shoulders and the massage therapist commented on how tight my muscles were in that area. She asked if I internalized things. Uh, I would say so. But, I never really thought about it that way until she asked.

The pg announcement just becomes another thing that is internalized...and brings my shoulders even closer to my ears.

My next massage appointment is this Friday.

10 comments:

Melba said...

I think some of this you can't help BUT internalize! We all have to get on with our lives, despite feeling sad and overwhelmed about this aspect of them. Sometimes there is no choice but to keep on keeping on.

I could really use a massage too, you're making me jealous with all your talk of massages and trips to Barbados! You deserve those treats though, very much so!! :)

Melba

Maru said...

Last year was pregnancy announcements year. OMG!!! EVERYONE got pregnant and I cried every time. They're still getting pregnant, and having babies, and at last I feel like I'm healing. I don't cry anymore, I feel happy for them. I still think "why not me?", I'm not going to lie to you, but I'm handling it way much better. My neck and shoulders are giving me a hard time too... Enjoy your massage! :o)

-Maru

Jennifer said...

I am so hoping that you have your sweet little baby in your arms by the time your sister has her baby! Pregnancy announcements do get a little easier when you have a baby in your arms (just a little). A massage sounds great right now.

StylinMom said...

I know all about internalizing, I guess we all get really good at that don't we!!
I bet your neck is sore.......I have the same problem..all my stress goes there...enjoy your massage..you deserve it!

m :)

RB said...

Enjoy your second massage! You deserve it! How do you NOT internalize these things?

Wendy said...

It's so hard to NOT internalize all of this stuff. I heard yet another pg announcement this week, too. We all want the same thing and when you've been trying for so long...well, you can only deal with so much.

I get a stiff neck and shoulders, too. I've never had a massage, though; it sounds so nice.

I don't think I commented on your last post -- I hope you have a great time on your trip that's coming up. Never been to Barbados but I can only imagine that it's going be beautiful, sunny, and tropical! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else said, I think internalizing this stuff is so normal!

All of my tension goes to my neck and shoulders also...that is where my migraines start and sometimes my neck just hurts so badly...massages always help me, too - enjoy!

Rachel said...

I hope you're doing better. I don't think these types of announcements get any easier.

I carry my tension in my neck and shoulders, too. Enjoy the massage.

hope548 said...

I have the exact same neck and shoulder issues! I'm sorry about the surprise announcement. I hope you become a mother before your sister has her second and you can enjoy raising your kids together!

Allie said...

I think everyone going through the infertility/adoption/etc journey goes through this phase. It just takes time - it took me a few years. You'll get to a point where you won't allow yourself to get upset at announcements, because the anger and resentment are just so draining. But the peace comes in *your* time, and *your* way.

And yeah, "me too" re the manifestation of stress. My shoulders and upper back especially, then when it's really bad it moves up to headaches.

Hang in there!
Allie