Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Adidas

Today, hubby and I gutted the powder room. I even scraped off the old wax ring where the toilet was. If you don't know what that means, it's probably better that it stay that way. I swear that hubby saved that job for me. I even helped to carry the toilet out of the house. My hubby is a very lucky man;)

We went to my niece's soccer game, then came home and watched some TV. The Rock and R.oll Hall of F.ame induction ceremony was on and Run. DMC happened to be the group being inducted. I'm a girl of the 80's and I always enjoyed their music (the reason for the title and now I can't get it out of my head), so I watched. One of the members, D.arryl M.cDaniels (the DMC part of the group), was adopted, which I did know. I think he even had a VH.1 special about finding his birthmom(?). It was a little while ago, so can't remember the details. I think S.arah Mc.Lachlan was on the show too.

Back to the induction ceremony....he said something during his acceptance speech, which I'm sure his mom (adoptive) just loved. This is not word for word, but this is the gist of it:

"If it weren't for my birthmother giving me up, then my real mom never would have found me..."

Thought that was very sweet. And hopefully something my future child will say randomly and frequently. LOL

**I realize that "giving me up" is not very PC, especially in the adoption world, and that may not be exactly what he said.

4 comments:

Mrs H said...

Wax ring YUCK!

As for the "giving up" as our nutbar SW reminded me the term giving up comes from the Orphan train days when the orphans would be stood up on a high platform at the train station so people could pick out which kid they wanted.

Love the quote - That's all we can really hope for!

RB said...

I don't know what a wax ring is and I don't think I want to know! Very cool quote.

StylinMom said...

what a sweet thing for him to say....she would have loved it!
I know I would!!

m :)

Jennifer said...

That is a sweet quote. Giving up always makes me cringe, but I think children of adoption can use whatever language they are comfortable with.