Last weekend I finally met some online friends I've been in contact with for almost 2 years...we originally met through an adoption thread on an IF board in October 2007. We planned to get together a few months ago and fortunately, it all came together. We decided to meet in Chicago with spouses and kids in tow for a long weekend.
However, T was not able to make it...he recently got a new job and he could not get off for the long weekend. Never mind that we had already booked the hotel and airfare. Argh...at least he was able to get a flight credit. T was a bit apprehensive about me traveling by myself, meeting up with people we had never met in person, and staying in a big city (yes, he's the nervous, protective type). So, I asked my little bro, who happens to have friends in Chi-town, if he wanted to hang out for a weekend. In return, I paid for his airfare. Turns out that I could have bought him a ticket to Timbuktu and it would have been the same effect....he quickly made plans and stayed with his friends about an hour outside of the city for the weekend. I saw him on the plane on the way there and we left each other at the airport. Some travel companion he was....although, we probably wouldn't have had time to hang out anyway because we arrived Friday and he left a day earlier than me on Sunday. But still.
Anyway, I saw this trip as a little adventure for myself AND an opportunity to meet some women I felt very connected to through our online thread. Sure, I had some qualms about going there by myself, (Caution: pity party ahead) the one still waiting for baby and no hubby to be my buffer, but I knew that I would have regretted not going.
Four of us from the adoption thread met...Coleen from AZ, Deanna from MI, Jennifer from the Chicago, IL area and myself, representing from Philly...yo! I quickly learned that my online buddies were just as great in person. Their husbands were so nice and the kids....very cute and sweet. Everyone was so down-to-earth and cool. I felt like I was with friends that I've known forever. I know that T would have really liked everyone too. We were so very lucky to have Jennifer and her husband, Mark, leading the way and taking us to some great places in the city.
I can't wait to do it again next year...but preferably with my husband AND a child for the next trip.

5 comments:
I love your pictures and I'm so glad you had such a nice trip. I'm going to Chicago on Wednesday! A friend of mine is going to fly there from the East Coast and we're going to hang out until Saturday. Funny how we both planned trips there not too far apart.
HI E!! Great synopsis of the trip!!
What a cool experience!
Looks like fun! How awesome that you all got to meet up!
What a great time. I can't wait to do it again, with Tom and your baby!
Post a Comment