Friday, October 24, 2008

Let's potentially prolong our adoption process, shall we?


We've set the wheels in motion to buy a new house. Probably not the best thing to be doing right now, but one thing I learned from infertility treatments is to NOT put our lives on hold. We've been casually looking for a while now and finally found a house that we could see ourselves being in and more importantly, afford. We submitted an offer and it was accepted. The home inspection went fairly well with no major surprises. This is a fixer-upper with a capital, FIX UP. Mostly cosmetic, but it's a bit daunting. We've been through this before though. We applied for the mortgage last night and the house will be appraised next week. So...if all goes well with those things, we could settle in less than 2 months.

One positive thing is that we have a potential serious buyer for our current house. There are a few wrinkles to iron out, namely the final price, but this may actually work out. (It's during these times that I really wish I was on anti-anxiety medication.) Nice to think that we may not have to put our house on the market.

How does this affect our adoption process? Well, according to our facilitator and social worker, not too much. I won't have to update our profile. But our homestudy will have to be updated, of course. It is due to be updated in March anyway.
I L-O-V-E the thought of having our social worker visit this house so soon after we move in. Fortunately, her husband is a carpenter (like mine) and they renovated their house, so I'm pretty sure that she'll understand. When I mentioned it to her via email, she replied that it's not a big deal. She just has to see that there is room for baby and update our physical address (is that worth $300??). As my husband says, my problem is that I like things to be a "certain way", if that makes sense. A thought that has crossed my mind is to put the homestudy update on hold, if just for a month or two, just so I can feel like I'm at least halfway organized. That really wouldn't make sense though, because if an adoption situation comes up, we won't be ready.

I consider myself a multi-tasker, or in other words, a woman. Is multi-tasking in the genetic make-up of women? This would be our luck to get THE CALL in the next few months, along with the move, working on the house, figuring out the finances. Ugh.

So, I'm seeing this possible move as a very good distraction or an invitation for the universe to throw it all at me. Bring it on!

6 comments:

RB said...

I love your logic...the call will happen at the most inopportune time. (That's why I booked a nonrefundable cruise!) I think you should update your HS as soon as you can. I wouldn't let any time get by, you never know when your baby is going to arrive. I hope you're able to sell your house without putting it on the market. That would be awesome. Congrats again on the new house...it's great to have a "project" to focus on.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Where?

happymomof4 said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the new home- how exciting:) We moved three months before our son was born/ adopted so we had to rush around updating our home study etc... He was a "suprise" adoption- long story short we hadn't started the process yet just casually mention to the agency we used to adopt our daughter that we are thinking about starting the process again around the first of the year. Lo and behold they called us a week and a half later with a bm ready to give birth any day! God works in mysterious but amazing ways. Best wishes on the move, renovations, updated home study and adoption. Look forward to reading all about it. God Bless

Coleen and Gordon said...

From one woman/multitasker to another... I love distractions!! You go girl! :) I loved what you said about putting your lives on hold. We learned that too! That is why we painted, got new carpet and window treaments, early summer, and then got "our call". That was money I wouldn't have spent knowingly, but oh well!!

Marcie said...

In this day and age, it is a miracle that you will be able to settle into a new house so fast! They say a watched pot never boils, so maybe you have to make the timing impossible to get that call! LOL. Good thing you're a multi tasker! Best of luck to you.

Melba said...

Bring it on is right...you go girl!! I completely agree with you that there's no time like the present. If we all waited for the "right time" to do things then would anything ever get done? Good luck to you...I hope everything works out.

Melba