
Today, I had the day off and I spent most of my morning and early afternoon doing some baby item research and nesting via my Visa card. My plan was to add a few more things to the slowly growing pile of unisex onesies, bibs, and other assorted baby wear I have picked up here and there.
My first stop was this small local store called Birthmark, which I knew catered to pregnant women. My goal was to learn about different baby slings and carriers there and maybe pick one up. I have to admit that I was a little intimidated as I made my way to the shop. When I walked up to the door, there was a sign that read, "Birthmark: a boutique for new and expecting parents". Hey, I thought, I'm expecting! So I don't exactly know when I'm expecting. But seeing that put me a bit more at ease. I'm finally starting to see myself as "expecting". The saleswoman was so nice and friendly, which was good for me, because I was feeling clueless. When she asked if I had a baby or was buying a gift, I said, "No, we're waiting to adopt." This may not seem like a big deal, but this was a first for me. So, she helped me with the differences between the Moby wrap, the Ergo carrier, and the Kangaroo sling . It was a very educational trip! I think I've decided to get a Moby for now and maybe an Ergo carrier after baby is here. They didn't have any colors I want, so I'll have to go back for it.
Next stop was the ubiquitous Babies 'R Us (BRU). The nice thing about shopping there during the week is that it's not crowded and I don't have to watch myself so much from accidentally bumping into pregnant bellies. I bought some washcloths, cloth diapers (to use as burp cloths), a couple of outfits, and pacifiers.
The final stop on this tour of places-I-used-to-avoid-like-the-plague, was a place called Baby Super Mart. I actually found a cool wooden puzzle for my 3 year-old nephew. I also scored a cute diaper bag.
All in all, a pretty productive day. I think some moms-to-be waiting to be matched might think it's crazy and/or silly to start buying stuff at this stage of the game. I guess after all the years of infertility treatment and negative pregnancy tests, I'm finally an optimist.

7 comments:
In my opinion optimism is a great thing! Sounds like you found some great items. I have finally begun to allow myself to buy a few things here and there too. I think this is an important affirmation of the process we're going through. So far I've purchased a bumbo seat and tray, plus a miracle blanket. I think a friend of a friend is going to make me a sling. :)
Melba
I'm so glad you are buying more things. This will happen for you and I pray soon. I love my moby wrap. Melba's miracle blanket is a godsend too.
Congrats on buying the baby stuff! That is a big step. You are in fact expecting and you need to be prepared!!!
I hope this baby comes much quicker than expected!
Marcie
Thanks for the comment on my blog. We went to the game yesterday and it was AWESOME!!!
I live VERY close to that store (literally can walk there). I spoke to the owner of that store when we were waiting because I wanted to know about adoptive mother breastfeeding or the supplemental feeding system. She is VERY nice! The head of my support group told me she is opening a new location in N.ewto.wn S.quare and she's going to offer adoptive mom support/new parent groups. I know when we had been chosen I searched everywhere for a baby care class that was not at the local hospital with a ton of pregnant women so I was thrilled when I heard that.
Maybe you would share what agency you're using? Give me your feedback? Here's my email address: tracyruthatyahoodotcom
Thanks for the link!!
Is that a picture of the diaper bag? It's cute! I hear you are going back to BRU soon. You'll have to share your finds!
We've had to deal with negativity for years while going through infertility treatments and we waiting mommies deserve to be optimistic :) I too have set up my nursery and am just waiting. Here's to a short wait! :)
Post a Comment